Google Maps Mobile: works on WM5/6 and Supports GPS

Yesterday, on my train ride to Boston, I was browsing the web on my Cingular 8525 to pass the time. I noticed Google's homepage prompted me to download Google Maps. I always knew that GMM worked for selected Jave-based phones (like the BlackBerry, etc.). I downloaded the CAB file to my handset and installed the program. Unlike Microsoft's Virtual Earth Mobile, this mobile application works! Flawlessly!. I attempted to search for addresses using Microsoft's Virtual Earth and it always give me an "unexpected error" message.

Right away, I looked up the restaurant I was headed and it provided direction from the Back Bay station. The same features (satelite, traffic info, directions) once available for BlackBerry is now available on my Windows-powered phone. Awesome! Infact, with touchscreen, it even allows you to pan/scroll just like the full PC version.

In addition, Google Maps work with phones with GPS, this is basically a free map set with millions of POI without the need to pay for maps like Garmin CityNavigator. I love Google!

0 comments:

Post a Comment