PWNAGE 2.2 Tool for iPhone Firmware 2.2 Available!

Yup, these guys are super awesome, within a day of iPhone's 2.2 firmware release, they have disclosed full instructions here. Pretty Amazing.

Update 1: I am trying to build a custom .ipsw firmware using Pwnage 2.2 but it is not working. I am prompted "I haz failed" shortly after entering my system password. The iPhone of choice is one of my first gen iPhone which has been pwn'd via firmware 2.1. According to the iPhone Dev team, the official instruction is to just restore to 2.2 via iTunes then run QuickPwn (which if you remember my previous story, it worked partially, I ended up option-restored a custom 2.1 .ipsw firmware back on the iPhone to work completely). So far, I can't figure out why along with many people commented on iPhone dev team's blog that PWNAGE 2.2 won't build a 1st gen firmware, I am guessing Pwnage 2.2 is developed for 2nd gen (3G iPhone) only. I am tempted to just restore up to 2.2 and run QuickPwn to find out. Will update shortly.

Update 2: Interesting... I used iTunes to upgrade my Pwn'd 2.1 iPhone to the latest 2.2. Once the phone has been setup, it automatically recognized everything via iTunes (hence restored my contacts, calendar, mail, music, etc...). It didn't get locked again. The 2.2 upgrade must have only been an update to the OS/Application side, not the baseband phone/internet portion as mentioned by iPhone Dev team. QuickPwn will still be required to go in and get Cydia and Installer back on for all 3rd party applications. Since the problem with iPhone won't wake up after deep sleep still exist, I have to get "Insomnia" back on again. (I only did this update for that reason, but since the baseband wasn't upgrade, problem is still there). Atleast I get Google StreetView now :) Will update after QuickPwn.

Update 3: I haz success! That is what I got after few DFU reboot (remember the DFU boot trick? this time, I released power button around 6 seconds on screen) and got QuickPwn to do its thing! iPhone dev team definitely put in more efforts in this build the animation on the iPhone screen during QuickPwn installation is pretty cool. I have installed Insomnia and the lovely "Bluetooth" and "Wifi" toggle apps (all are 3rd party) back on the iPhone, everything should be all good from here, will report future updates here. Update: apparently, somehow the 3rd party wifi toggle doesn't work anymore...

Update 4: The amazing iPhone Dev team has released a newer PWNAGE tool version 2.2.1 which now fixed the problem mentioned above. You can get the latest tool to custom build your .ipsw firmware for the iTunes Option-Restore it. I tried it and it works great.

Search keywords: PWNAGE 2.2, iPhone 2.2, I haz failed, I haz Success, iPhone firmware 2.2, PWNAGE 2.2 instructions, PWNAGE 2.2 on iPhone, 1st gen iPhone PWNAGE 2.2, iPhone 2G PWNAGE 2.2.


0 comments:

Post a Comment