Smartphones, grass is greener on the other one?

Few days ago, I switched back from the HTC G1 to the iPhone. As I was doing so, my wife made a comment about my action, that "with so many phones I've gone through, I can't seem to be satisfied with any of them". I chuckled and proceeded with the SIM card transfer and update the iPhone w/ iTunes.

Just today, I am planning a potential road trip for this coming weekend. I was thinking to myself, lets switch to the Nokia N95 and update its GPS map from Nokia so we can reliably pin-point our exact location w/o relying on 3G data. That is when it dawned on me that the reason why I am perpetually changing smartphones is because there is yet to be one "it" phone. While the iPhone is a very strong device, it lacks the flexibility and independent functionality as a Symiban or WM device. Meaning iPhone can be rendered useless outside of what is tolerated (3G data area, iTunes, etc...). Whereas WM and Symbian OS tends to allow you, as a user to customize and run various programs on the fly.

On the other hand, iPhone's total market domainance with applications and mobile websites optimized for Safari makes it the most entertaining and web friendly device. I suppose a user really has to decide what his or her lifestyle is about and choose a smartphone wisely. I am fortunate enough to have a few phones to switch around and will likely to do so until the "perfect" smartphone arrives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment