Nokia N95 Smartphone Achilles' Ankel: Lack of U.S. 3G support!

I have been eyeing on the Nokia N95 smartphone for a while now. There are plenty of reviews around this phone, so I won't get into the details. The bottom line is it offers integrated GPS with free maps, WiFi, Quadband GSM phone, and HSDPA 3G at the WCDMA 2100 band - ouch!

In plain English, the 3G data is not supported by Cingular's HSDPA 1900 band. So if you buy this phone and would like to use data services from Cingular, you would have to settle for the slower EDGE network. I suppose that is not so bad considering that since the inception of the iPhone, rumor has it that Cingular bumped the EDGE speed to a respectable 190KB/Sec. Does this sound familiar to you?

I came so close to buying this phone from Buy.com as they have it listed for $649 Shipped (compared to the Nokia Store at $749). luckily, my buddy Toby C. tipped me this morning preventing me from getting this near perfect phone! Here is a CNET review that confirmed the lack of USA 3G support.

0 comments:

Post a Comment