The Mobile Experience Challenge: HTC Trinity

(Define "the mobile experience" challenge)
Blogger GetSomeHairapy! emailed me her experience with HTC Trinity smartphone. It is such an important part of her life in every aspect (work, personal, business, etc.) Her original posting can be found on Gearydiary.com which includes all sorts of nice links, I've taken a partial copy of it and posted below. Enjoy!
I used to keep a laptop at my work station, but when my husband lost his laptop to a job change and needed mine, I found I could do without it by relying on my HTC Trinity Pocket PC. Let me tell you a little about me, about my business, and about how my machine holds it all together.

I own a small hair salon. Not only do I spend 35 hours a week seeing clients, I am also responsible for every other aspect of running the business. I do the marketing, keep the website and blog up to date, pay the bills, and anything else you can think of. I also travel teaching classes to hairdressers, and as the author of Get Some Hairapy – a hairdresser’s prescription for happiness, do some book promotion in my spare time. Oh yeah, and I have a family, as well. People need to be able to get a hold of me, and I need access to my data.

Without my calendar, I am dead in the water. I keep my Trinity with me at all times and I count on it to tell me where I need to be and what I need to do. My salon uses an on-line appointment book service that allows our clients to schedule their own appointments at any time. We love it because it cuts down on how much the phone rings and clients love it because they don’t have to wait for us to be open in order to get on the books. When an appointment is made, the system sends me an email. Direct Push gets it to me in a flash, and when I click on the attachment, all the data is entered into my Pocket Informant calendar. This keeps my calendar on track at all times. So if I run into a client in the grocery store and they ask if they can get in for some highlights on Friday, I can look at my schedule and give them an answer.

Using the contacts section of Pocket Informant, I keep the client’s personal data and I store their chemical formulations in the notes field. If I make changes during their visit, I can input the new formulation immediately. Good records make good customer service easier!

Recently I was at a photo shoot and wanted to take some candid, back-stage shots when I realized I had forgotten to charge the battery in my digital camera. Trinity to the rescue! I took still pictures and videos that were good enough to put on the blog and share with others. (A Treo owner in the room tried to do the same, but her results were less pleasing. I took out my mini SD card and she uploaded all my photos to her laptop, emailing them out while we were still on the shoot.)

While getting in the car for my drive to work, a text comes in from a client. She’s running late and wonders if she is 15 minutes late should she still come or should she reschedule. I check my calendar and determine that she can still come. I send the text and am off to work.

When a client is “in the chair”, we try to give them as much attention as possible. The people in my life know that when I am at work, the best way to get to me is through my Trinity. Text and email are easy to read while a color is processing and also cuts down on the phone ringing in the salon. And if I don’t have time to answer a call at home, at work, or on my cell, Callwave sends me an email with an audio attachment that I can listen to much more easily than I can call to check messages.
Continue reading here...

0 comments:

Post a Comment