Review: V MODA Vibe II Headset with Mic

V MODA has been known for producing high quality headphones catered towards the iPhone and iPod crowd. My buddy Yasir has always sworn by their amazing sound quality of his original Vibe Duo. Personally, I have always wanted to get a pair of V Moda headphones for my iPhone, until now, I have been using a moderately good pair of Griffin's Tune Buds Mobile. When the good folks at Formula PR offered a pair of V MODA Vibe II for review, I gladly accepted.
Before we get started, I have some basic requirements for headsets: 1). Must have a built-in mic, 2). Must have good sound quality [good highs and deep bass], 3). Must have some sort of in-ear buds that blocks outside noise. You'd be surprised to find how little choices are available if you require all of the above.
The Vibe II is beautifully crafted in stainless steel alloy and comes with an Italian designed leather protective case. My review unit is black with a soft fabric cable and includes a set of sport earhooks which is optional if you need to secure your headphones for more active environment. In addition to including an inline mic, it also includes inline control to play/pause/answer call. This headset will work with other smartphones, media players as well as VOIP laptop applications (ie. BlackBerry Bold, Curve, Storm, Laptops/MacBooks) so long as they support the 24K gold plated 3.5mm plug.
Hands on with Vibe II
"Only the finest materials are used to create..." as claimed by V MODA's press kit. And finest material they are! I am amazed at the quality and craftsmanship that went into this headset. Even down to its packaging, protective case and Kevlar-infused cord fabric for added durability. When other headphones supply 3 different silicon ear buds for sizing, V MODA gives you a wider range of selection with the four sizing options.
Audio Clarity and Quality is Superb!
The sound quality on the Vibe II is sharp and clear. "Precision" is a word I would use to describe this headset, from the sounds to the fitment. The music sounds very tight and concise; I tried out a variety of songs from Classical to R&B and every note is reproduced accurately. The bass from the 8mm driver is especially great with the in-ear design which is nice and deep (hence is 12- 22Hz range). Even when I cranked up the volume (which is not recommended), the audio is still precise and clear. I placed a couple of test calls and I can hear the other party just fine as they have no problem with hearing me either. In fact, the mic is so sensitive it was picking up the HVAC vent sound to my receipient.
Overall, I am very pleased with V MODA Vibe II and I would recommend this set to any hardcore audio phile with or without an Apple product. At $128 MSRP, it is demanding, however, when compared to the super expensive Shure or Bose headphones, this is actually a great price offer excellent performance and build quality. I'd be very interested in comparing the VIBE II to Apple's In-Ear Buds in the upcoming future. (Special thanks to Jamie C. at Formula PR)

0 comments:

Post a Comment