Mobile Best Practice in Usability

Lately, I have been spending a good chunk of time at my 9-to-5 job researching and gathering the best mobile web practices in preparation of our own mobile website launch.  Its quite eye opening to see how creative and smart some of the top internet retailers is able to present an excellent mobile experience to their loyal customers.

In my own practice, I have been going down the path of visiting top retailers' websites and jolt down notes on things I liked, my overall consensus has been studying my desktop website metrics and present the most relevant and useful features to the mobile website with larger/finger friendly UI design.  The folks at Usability Sciences have 1-up me on this topic; they are offering  free Webinars around these topics; the latest one I attended was called "Mobile Best Practice in Usability" and what a great webinar it turned out to be. The presenter broke down the topic into smaller, but informative sessions (homepage, navigation, search, listing results) and showed examples of the good and the bad. It definitely reinforced my own thoughts and helped me think about the entire process in a much structured format. If you are tasked to mobilize your website, check out Usability Sciences free webinar series, I know I will.

(The screenshot is taken from Hotels.com, one of the mobile websites that I found to be very good at creating a solid mobile experience.  It seems like they have a solid understanding of their customer's needs and only presented what is the most useful and intuitive design - large buttons with good contrast in visual design, major functions like "Find a Hotel", "View Reservation" and "Customer Care" is presented clearly on the homepage.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment