Review: ifrogz Timbre Headphones w/ Mic

(Update: I stand corrected. This remote has built in control in the mic module to let you "play/pause" or "receive/end" calls. The button is not really defined but definitely is there. This makes the headphones an extremely good value.)

I mentioned in the past that there has been a shortage of affordable, decent sounding stereo headphones with integrated microphone, folks at ifrogz has answered my call with a series of affordable and high quality headphones with high definition microphone. In this post, I'll cover the Timbre (MSRP $49), a set of noise isolating ear buds for your iPhone or BlackBerry.

Quality: The Timbre headphones is aptly named after its usage of a natural wood ear bud chamber (see pic) which covers the sound range between 20Hz to 20KHz beautifully. As far as sound quality goes, I'd say they are some of the best and will give my all time favor V Moda headsets a decent run for the money. I tried out a number of songs ranging from soft rock to hip pop and the sound just comes through very naturally hitting both ends of the frequency spectrum. The ear buds felt light and sits comfortably in my ears with three different sizes I can change to. I wonder if this is a result of using wood as its ear bud chamber. Test phone calls are loud and clear for both ends so this headphones is definitely a quality piece.

Construction: The Timbre is not flashy, aside from the wooden chambers and some use of aluminum that reinforces important joints, the rest of the headphone is conservative and black is the common denominator. The 3.5mm jack is thin enough to work with iPhones of all generations and some BlackBerry models. Where I can think improvements can be made is upgrading its rubber cords to some type of fabric based like some of the premium headphones out there. Also I wished the microphone would include some basic control/remote function to receive/end calls or play/pause iPod operations.

All together, I think ifrogz Timbre is a very good headset. Its definitely going to meet the demands of those iPhone or iPod Touch owners looking for quality headphones w/ mic without a hefty price tag.

0 comments:

Post a Comment